Jumbo jets have autopilot so advanced that they can take off or land a plane full of passengers on their own. Why does it work so well and why is it so reliable? Because it’s completely integrated with the critical systems of the plane, and it’s been tested over and over again.
Unfortunately, most data centers today are a patchwork of components that you have to manually integrate so they work together. It’s likely your SAN, network, and servers are all from different companies and each have their own management software. You and your admins struggle to learn how the multitude of complex pieces even function. Worse yet, the data center data and compute requirements continue to grow. Something has to change.
Gen8 Servers: Leadership in Innovation
Server vendors have been promising for years that their “latest and greatest” servers will solve your problems. Admins know that a new version of servers may have “some” new features but likely aren’t going to be that different from last year’s models. HP’s new generation 8 servers may change your expectations.
In their Magic Quadrant report on blades, Gartner identifies HP as a leader in the server market space. From what I have learned, Gen8 servers, and their integration with other HP data center components, are shining examples of that innovation.
7 Reasons Gen8 Servers can make a difference in your data center
HP’s Gen8 servers offer numerous features and benefits, but rather than try to list them all, here are our top 7:
- Self-sufficiency – Continually analyzes thousands of server parameters to ensure optimal application performance and availability.
- Dynamic workloads – Delivers six times faster solid state storage performance versus previous generations by combining smarter algorithms and analytics with 85 percent faster storage performance and twice the cache capacity. Also, the HP ProLiant family gives you up to 50 percent more drives per server and the built-in Smart Array controller can support twice the number of drives in one RAID.
- Integrated lifecycle automatics – Troubleshoots five times faster with HP Active Health technology—a 24/7 mission control for automated monitoring, diagnostics, and alerting. It monitors and securely logs more than 1,600 system parameters and 100 percent of configuration changes. With the built-in Smart Update feature, you can deploy updates three times faster with 93 percent reduction in downtime.
- Proactive service and support – Enable the Insight Remote Support feature connecting the rich data gathered by HP Insight Online directly to your HP Certified Service Professional to reduce your problem resolution time by up to 40 percent. This offers one-stop access to the information your team needs to support the devices in your IT environment anywhere, anytime.
- Automated energy optimization – HP Thermal Discovery Services self-identify and inventory servers optimize workload placement—without the need for tedious, errorprone manual asset collection and tracking. HP Power Discovery Services with the HP Intelligent PDU automatically tracks power usage and document configurations to increase system uptime and reduce the risk of outages.
- System architecture and design – Remove the wrong drive and you might lose data across an entire array. HP ProLiant servers with the HP ProActive Insight architecture and intelligent system components help eliminate common problems that cause failures, downtime, and data loss.
- Converged solution – Offering servers, storage, networking, and systems management all designed to work together, data center convergence will streamline your data center provisioning, reduce troubleshooting time, increase uptime, and offer unprecedented efficiency.
With over 150 design innovations in the new HP Gen8 servers, HP is piloting the modern data center. However, there’s a lot more here than just making the servers “better”. With the new Gen8 servers, HP is shifting from being just a capex to an opex by increasing uptime and allowing you to improve service level agreements for production applications.